Copyright © 2024, Philip Robinson. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part without prior permission of the creator

Friday 7 January 2011

1914 Project

This is a joint project with my good friend and regular wargame opponent Dave Bickley, Dave has done the Brits, now I have to complete the Hun. As I paint full time now I have not been able to devote as much time to my own projects, inspired by the results obtained by Dave Imrie and Phil Hendry I decided to paint these using brushed on Army Painter dip, my first few were painted the normal three colour way, can you spot them?
I firstly paint all the base colours, the faces I still do the three layer way, then I brush on the dip, when this is dry I apply a coat of Daler Rowney Matt Soluble Acrylic varnish, I then paint on highlights before applying a further coat of matt varnish.
My basic colours for the main items are as follows
Helmet Cover - Foundry Moss base - Highlighted with Moss highlight added to the base colour.
Tunic              - Vallejo Panzer Aces 335 Field Grey - Highlighted with VPA 338 FG H/light added to 335
Trousers         - Vallejo Model Colour 866 Grey Green - Highlighted with VMC 886 Grey Green added
                          to 866
Leather           - Vallejo Model Colour 984 Flat Brown - Highlighted with VMC 875 Beige Brown added
                          to 984
Tent Quarter   -  Foundry Spearshaft Shade - Highlighted with Foundry Spearshaft Highlight added to the
                          shade

The officer is painted three colour method

 Both the above are painted by the dip method


My completed bases so far, you can't tell which are dipped and which are not at table distance, I don't think..

6 comments:

  1. Great painting and, above all, great basing! I hate basing as much as painting horses!! What rules sets are you planning to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comments.

    Dave and myself are developing our own rules specifically for the 1914 period, they are based on the ones we had printed in Wargames Illustrated several years ago. There are two bases to a company, with a command base and a m/gun base. The cavalry are grouped six to eights mounted,five to seven dismounted and one gun represents a section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I like the motion the Hun have - they look very optimistic.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific painting. What colours did you use for the bases? I like them a lot, and plan on being an imitator!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind comments. The bases are GW Graveyard Earth drybrushed with GW bleached Bone.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprisingly enough that's what I've been using all this time! Why they don't turn out this good is a mystery to me...

    ReplyDelete